What to do if Your Dog Eats Chocolate


Dogs can be very mischievous around household items and often find things they shouldn’t have, such as human food. This can be very dangerous if you are unaware of what foods are poisonous to dogs.  

Chocolate is one of the well-known poisonous foods for dogs and although some dogs eat it and are fine, it is best not to take the risk. With most poisonous foods, it is the not the food itself but the dose that makes the poison. All types of chocolate contain a toxic chemical called theobromine. Although theobromine can have benefits to humans, unfortunately this isn’t the case for dogs. Dogs can’t metabolise it in the same way humans do, which can sometimes cause dangerous reactions to their bodies.   

If your dog has consumed chocolate, they may start to show symptoms of being poisoned. Below is a list of common symptoms to look out for:

  • Excessive thirst 
  • Vomiting 
  • Diarrhea 
  • Restlessness 
  • Hyperactivity 
  • Abnormal heart rate 
  • Shaking 
  • Rapid breathing 
  • Muscle tension

If your dog consumes any amount of chocolate, whether they are showing symptoms or not, call your vet for advice. Try to note down your dog’s weight, the type of chocolate they consumed, how much they’ve eaten and when. If possible, take the wrapper to the vets. This will all help the vet when it comes to treating your dog.      

We have a wide range of treats in all our stores, including doggy chocolate. A chocolate that is perfectly safe for dogs as it doesn’t include the chemical theobromine, a chemical usually found in human chocolate. Click here to find your nearest store.      

The PDSA have some useful tips and advice, for more information on chocolate being poisonous for dogs please click here. 

WCF Pet Help & Advice

Read How To Give The
Best To Your Pets