3 Ways to Keep Your Dog Safe at Christmas


Christmas is a time to spend time with family to celebrate and enjoy festive treats. However it’s important to remember that the festive period can present hidden dangers to your dog. Read on for 3 tips on how to keep your dog safe this Christmas.

Watch Out for Toxic Foods

Whilst certain foods may sound like a treat, it’s important to remember that some are toxic to dogs.

  • Chocolate should be avoided at all costs as the chemical theobromine is toxic to dogs, even in small amounts. The darker the chocolate, the more potent the levels of theobromine. Symptoms can include vomiting, diarrhea, increased thirst, restlessness, excessive urination, and a racing heart. In severe cases, muscle tremors, seizures, and heart failure can be seen.
  • Artificial sweeteners found in sweet treats are also thought to be even more dangerous than chocolate for dogs. Only a very small amount of Xylitol is needed to stimulate the release of insulin, leading to dangerously low blood sugar levels. Toxicity can lead to seizures, comas and fatal liver failure.
  • Grapes and their dried forms such as sultanas and raisins are also toxic, as even small quantities can cause severe kidney failure. Foods such as mince pies and Christmas puddings will include these ingredients. More information on toxic foods can be found here.

Avoid Meat on the Bone

Turkey and Chicken bones can be extremely dangerous to pets. Whilst it may seem like a good idea to let your pets have left-overs from dinner, turkey and chicken bones can easily splinter, especially when cooked. This can cause obstructions, gut irritation or may penetrate the stomach or intestinal wall. If you do want to give your pet some left over meat, be sure to take it off the bone and check that it’s safe and easily digestible.

Keep Christmas Decorations Out of Reach

  • Christmas decorations can look interesting and exciting to your pet but can be hazardous to their health. Tinsel and wrapping paper might look like a play toy but it’s important to make sure your dog doesn’t eat any of it.
  • The same goes for those lovely chocolate treats we hang on our Christmas trees. They might smell and look nice but as we’ve mentioned they are toxic to dogs.
  • Some festive plants and flowers such as holly, ivy, mistletoe and lilies can also be harmful to pets so it’s best to avoid keeping these in your home.

For more information on keeping your dog safe at Christmas the RSPCA have some useful advice

Shop for Lakes Heritage Grain Free Dog Food here.