How to Prepare for Your New Puppy
home your new puppy for the first time may take some adapting, it is important
that you prepare for your puppy coming home to help them settle easily, feel
happy and safe. You may need to
puppy proof your home before they arrive. This can include hiding away any
harmful objects such as cleaning products or electrical cables making sure
nothing harmful is at easy access.
the start it is important they have their own space they can escape off to.
Make sure their space is quiet and comfy as they may just want to spend some
time alone. A crate is often a good idea as a safe space for your puppy, it is
a secure space to explore and can also help with their toilet training.
Creating a checklist is always a good
way to help you prepare for your new puppy. Here’s some
things you may need to help you get started:
- A bed - somewhere comfy and cosy for naps.
- A crate - often to provide your puppy with a
- Complete puppy food - high quality puppy food
formulated to help them grow. They tend to have more delicate stomachs then
adult dogs. Click here to shop our puppy food range.
- Puppy treats - a tasty snack and a great
training tool. Try not to feed too close to mealtimes as it may upset their
- Food and water bowls - choose the size based off
what size of dog you have.
- A collar - an adjustable collar is often a good
idea as your puppy will quickly grow.
- A lead - this is a must have for walks,
especially when your dog is untrained.
- A car restraint - it is the law to restrain your
dog while travelling, chose a restraint that is suitable for your dog. To find
out more, click here.
- Lots of toys - all puppies love to play with
toys and is a great way to keep your puppy entertained.
- Puppy pads - these are essential when toilet
training your puppy.
- Poo bags - an obvious must.
- A brush or comb - it is a good idea to groom
your puppy from a young age so that they get used to it, especially if you
decide to take them to the groomers.
- Toothbrush and toothpaste (one for dogs) - to
keep their breath fresh and reduce plague build up.
- Puppy shampoo - puppies can have delicate skin
so use a shampoo that is gentle and specially formulated for puppies.
- Blankets - to keep your puppy cosy and warm.
- Chew bone - promotes healthy teeth growth.
- Flea & worm treatment - these are to make
sure your puppy stays healthy and free of fleas, tick and any other unwanted pests.
can find most of these necessities in one of our stores. Click here to
find your nearest store.
We also have some tips on bringing your puppy home for the first time. to find out more, click here.